Principles of Estate Planning, 2nd Edition
Product #: 9110002
Format: Paperback, 8 ½” x 11”, 672 pp
Pub. Date: June 2015
About the Book
The Principles of Estate Planning, 2nd Edition is newly revised with updated information on the most current developments in the estate planning field, including ATRA-related tax changes, the use of the new ABLE accounts for medical expenses planning, information on the use of trust protectors, and planning techniques that can be used for newly recognized same-sex marriages.
The book is a complete single-volume source that covers all aspects of estate planning, from the basic principles of property transfers to complex financial techniques that can be used to deal with a wide variety of client circumstances. The authors bring a wealth of experience in both professional and academic arenas that help students understand the concepts that are critical for achieving important professional designations as well building a successful practice with real-world examples of common estate planning problems.
This textbook allows students to work with the most current information, thus helping to gain a better understanding of how to advise clients in the real-world using real numbers. Teach your students using the most up-to-date estate planning textbook on the market.
The authors, Carolynn Tomin and Colleen Carcone, fully address all of the CFP® Certification Examination Principal Topics for Estate Planning. In addition to this on-target approach, Principles of Estate Planning features:
- Content that is systematically organized into subtopics to help simplify the understanding and retention of complex material
- "Chapter Contents" that outline the topics addressed in each chapter
- "Learning Objectives" in each chapter that provide topic focus
- "Client Situations" that present practice scenarios and illustrate the practical application of key concepts in client situations
- "Practitioner Tips" that provide practical advice and guidance
- "Practice Standards" that highlight the related steps in the financial planning process from CFP Board's "Standards of Professional Conduct"
- Chapter summaries, key terms, and review questions that aid recall, retention, and review of the topics
- And much more!
Table of Contents
Introduction to Estate Planning
Methods of Property Transfer at Death
The Probate Process
Income Taxation of Trusts, Estates, and Beneficiaries
Gift Tax Calculation
Gifting to Minors
The Gross Estate
The Estate Tax Calculation
The Marital Deduction
State Death Tax Deduction
Generation-Skipping Transfer Tax
Powers of Appointment
Life Insurance Planning
Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts
Estate Planning with Retirement Benefits
Estate Freeze Strategies
Intra-family and Other Business Transfer Techniques
Family Limited Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies
Business Planning Strategies
Estate Planning for Non-traditional Relationships
Common Estate Planning Considerations
Answers to Chapter Review Questions
Tax Rate Schedules
Financial Planning Practice Standards
Documents for Incapacity Planning
Available in print, online subscription, and soon, in an e-book format: information as you want it!
Get the Book
15% Discount for Students: Please alert students enrolled in your course that they are eligible to receive a 15% discount on textbook purchases when purchasing from National Underwriter. Please direct them to the Student Discounts page for purchasing and discount information.